Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Confession 123: Inexplicable Praise

Have you ever just wanted to praise God?  I'm talking jump out of your seat, sing at the top of your lungs, twirl around like a Whirling Dervish PRAISE GOD?  The other day, as the boys and I were driving to the park for a picnic, Third Day's song that begins, "I want to sing a song for you Lord" came on the radio.  It was like some sort of fire started coursing through my blood and I just wanted to praise.  It was inexplicable.  Nothing major had happened.  Nothing in my life had suddenly changed.  No prayer requests had been made and miraculously answered.  But suddenly, the Spirit was there and my entire being wanted to bask in the glow of my Creator.

Lately, I've had a case of "the weary blues".  This whole job hunting thing has gotten me down, I must admit.  I filed for Unemployment last week and then proceeded to break down in the shower. I felt humiliated.  It's a total pride thing.  I've always considered myself to be a successful and skilled professional, and to be unemployed makes me feel unsuccessful and skill-less. God and I are working through it, but when you've got "the weary blues"  sometimes you "can't be satisfied".  I got a fortune cookie yesterday that said, and I quote: Success and Wealth are headed your way.  I gave a wry chuckle, pointed to the sky and said, "Nice one."  I've always believed that God has a very quirky sense of humor.

All of that is to say that it surprised me when I was overcome with praise, although really, it shouldn't.  The thing about us as humans is that we were created to praise God.  It's literally in every fiber of our being.  And why shouldn't we give God inexplicable praise?  What in our life could be bigger than him?  As James writes, we are like the morning mist, appearing for a moment and then gone.  In the grand scheme of things, our problems are a drop in the infinitesimal bucket of existence.  I'm not being sarcastic at all here--I mean that, even if I forget to see it at times.  So we praise God, through it all.  And it is in that act of giving praise that our spirits are lifted, our hearts made whole, our souls filled, and hope grows.

Inexplicable praise.  Have you had it lately?

Blessings and Peace,
Sara

2 comments:

  1. I love this quote by C.S. Lewis

    “God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world”

    Isn't it a wonderful thing to praise through our pain? Its what keeps hope alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Convicting! Thanks for this... I really needed to hear it!

    Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2