Sunday, August 15, 2010

Confession 119: Pillow Talk

When I was a child, I used to love falling asleep at night listening to my parents voices as they talked quietly in their room down the hall.  It was comforting to hear them as I drifted off to sleep, a sign that all was well and I was not alone.  Now that I'm grown and have children of my own, I realize that this was actually the only time they had during the day to talk to one another!  Having two small children of our own, my husband and I have found that pillow talk time is our time; to reconnect, renew, and enjoy each other once more.  We laugh a lot, discuss everything from kids, politics and religion to gossip, silliness and Cardinal baseball.  It doesn't matter what the conversation is about, it just matters that it is.

The other night, our conversation took an interesting turn.  We were discussing our new mini-van.  Chris decided to name her Wanda. 
"Wanda?" I asked.  "Where in the world did you come up with that?"
"Wanda," Chris said.  "As in, I "wandah" why I bought a mini-van!"  This is the kind of humor I deal with every day.  My husband always insists he is the funniest person I know, and given his sense of humor, this is probably true.  He also told me he considered the name "Van-essa", but thought it was too obvious.  We spent some time trying to decide if we actually knew anybody named Wanda, and there were a few.  When we were remembering one Wanda in our life my husband made the comment: "That girl was cookoo for Cocoa Puffs."
I snickered.  "Where did you get that?"  I've never been very adept at colloquialisms.
"You've never heard that before?"
"No.
Chris was silent for a few moments, thinking.  "How about 'one out short of a full inning'?"
"Nope."
"The elevator's not reaching the top floor?"
"No."
"Not swinging with a full set of clubs?"
I laughed, "No! Where do you get this stuff?  I have heard 'a few bricks short of a load' and 'bats in the belfry'."
"All the lights on and nobody home."

This went on for awhile, before I finally gave up and went to sleep.  It got me to thinking though, what other expressions or colloquialisms are out there that I don't know?  Are we just "cookoo for Cocoa Puffs" ourselves, or do other people have conversations like this too?  What does your pillow talk consist of?  And if it's not pillow talk, where do you find time to talk?  What do you talk about?  How do you keep it fresh and new?  I'm not trying to be nosy, just curious and looking for some conversation.

Blessings and Peace,
Sara

3 comments:

  1. We talk at bed time too, unless I've fallen asleep before hubs comes to bed which has been happening a lot lately. We talk about life, the kids, when are we going to get a "real" job, etc.

    I vote for Wanda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right!!! He's hilarious!!! Did I tell you I have a minivan too? Never thought I would be a "mini-van Mom" - but now I TOTALLY love it!!!

    Now... she doesn't have a name - so maybe if you're not going to use Vanessa - I'll take that one!

    Talk time... we love our laptops. We do actually talk to one another with words and laughter and such - but just to keep it fun - we'll be sitting at the table, together, holding hands and start IM'ing one another! Silly I know. But we think it's kind of cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. I think it's neat that listening to your parent's small talk was comforting. Your husband does sound funny. We named many of our cars over the years. From "Molly" the blue pinto I had when we got married, "Feather" my husband's blue VW bug, "Stacy" our blue station wagon. Our favorite name was our blue (do you notice a pattern here?) VW volkwagen van we named "Vincent" after Vincent VAN Gogh. Get it, van go. :)

    I remember "Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs" from a cereal commercial years ago. Maybe you aren't old enough to remember it. :)

    I love your new blog layout. It looks great. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2