Monday, August 23, 2010

Confession 121: Just Another Manic Monday

I recently started working through a Women of Faith Bible study called A Life of Worship.  As I was reading through my chapter today, this quote by Sheila Walsh shook me out of my pre-coffee stupor:
Sometimes we know we need refreshment but are too lazy in the routine of life--
or too preoccupied with what we think is "important" --
to stop for spiritual refreshment.  Sometimes life may crowd in on us
enough that we are simply not aware of our need.
Do you know how many times I have heard people say to me, "I wish I had more time for Bible study!"  I'm trying to start up a new women's Bible study at our church, and there is a lot of interest, but not a lot of time.  Finding a day or evening that doesn't butt up against some other commitment is virtually impossible.  There are women's clubs and sororities, sporting events, family obligations.  We rush around to this or that, pursuing all sorts of different things, making meaning in the busyness but neglecting the source that gives our lives true meaning and purpose.

In filling out various job applications, I always get stuck on the section that asks for a listing of "other activities, organizations, clubs".  I've never been a joiner.  I was one of about three people in my freshman class at college who didn't go through "Rush Week".  I saw no point in paying ten bucks to meet people I'd meet in classes anyway and get a t-shirt.  I'm not saying that I think these things are wrong, or that I'm too good to join in various groups.  It's just that I think they need to be balanced with quality time in the Word, for that is where our foundation lies.

The cornerstone scripture of the Jewish faith is found in Deuteronomy chapter 6.  It is called the Shema, and is one of the first pieces of scripture learned by Jewish children.  This scripture is placed in mezzuzah's found on the doorposts of Jewish homes, and I think it is applicable for us as Christians, as well.
Write these commandments that I've given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you and then get them inside your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder; inscribe them on the doorposts of your homes and on your city gates. 
As Christians, our lives must be enveloped in God's Word.  It is our hope, our strength and our peace.  Blessings to you this Monday!!
Sara

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wake up call. We always seem to find time for those things we deem important don't we. Reading our Bible, studying God's word, should be at the top of the list whether self directed or in a group.

    Blessings to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!!! I love this!!! I'm praying for you as you lead the women in your church to find a love & passion for studying God's word.

    You are just the woman to do this for them!!!

    I love all that you've said here!!!

    And I didn't do Rush Week either!! And look how good we both turned out! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got that right, girl!

    Those verses from Deuteronomy are spot-on. (God's Word is sort of known for that characteristic. ~smile~)

    I was so amazed at the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit, where we had an up-close look at the phylacteries that Jewish people wore to keep God's words close, just as the Scriptures advise.

    I want to keep God's Word close, too.

    Thank you for your words, Sara.

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2