Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Confession 136: Wait For Me!!

My boys are both absolute "mama's boys".  What that translates to is wherever Mama is, that's where they are. On the rare occasion that someone other than Grandma, Grandpa or Auntie calls, I try to disengage myself from the noise of having a two and a four year old boy by walking to a seldom used corner of the house so that I can fully grasp why someone who is not Grandma, Grandpa or Auntie would be calling.  The caller usually gets through the first sentence before my rowdy ones descend and I'm left trying to piece-meal together the conversation I was having.  I've given up daily showers.  They boys always want to take one too, and our shower was really only made for one.  Sometimes I go and hide in the bathroom to read a magazine, but just when I get into an article, the boys come barreling in slamming every door along the way.  I could lock them out, but the last time I did that we ended up with a sofa covered in raw egg, so it's really best to have them in eye-sight or ear-shot at all times.

Lately, my two-year-old has been calling, "Wait for me!" whenever I get even a step in front of him.  Actually, with his tendency to take the first letter off of every word it actually is, "Ate or eee!"  As I was waiting for him to catch up the other day (which took all of two seconds) I thought, "This is what God does all the time!"  Not only does God call out, "Wait for me!", but he also waits patiently on the other end of a situation for us to catch up!!

How many times do we try to run ahead in any given situation, only to end up back at the start?  I try to be a patient person.  Yet unfortunately, it is one of the fruits of the Spirit I don't always work to cultivate.  Recently, I was faced with a life situation in which I lost my patience.  I decided God wasn't moving fast enough for me to resolve the issue, so I took it upon myself to make some headway.  I heard God calling out to me, "Wait for me!"  But I was warmed up and ready to run.  So, run I did.  In the end, I had a month of undue worry and stress which put me right back where I started in the first place.  I didn't wait, but God did.  When I had lost my race, God was waiting right back at the start.  Wouldn't you know, the moment I slowed down to wait for God, God began working to resolve the situation in his way--the better way.

Psalm 27:14 exhorts us to "Wait for the Lord: be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord!"
Lamentations 3:26 also reminds us that "it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."

So, how's your patience been, lately?  Are you waiting?  God's plan is perfect.  The question is, can we wait?

Blessings and Peace,
Sara

4 comments:

  1. Patience in the finance department has been a struggle at times for me, but I honestly can say that I trust God and that He will provide for us!
    I love the scriptures you wrote.
    Big Fat Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,
    First of all, did I ever tell you I have two sisters named Sara? I wanted to name our youngest Sara, but they both refused!

    Patience? Um, fresh out, but I need to get some. If you could see me, you would see I'm stomping my feet while waiting for what I think is the next path in my life to show itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has been showing me recently his faithfulness in the finance department. In theory, we shouldn't be making it, but we are!!

    Amy, I was stomping my feet for quite awhile and then just threw my hands up and said, "Whatever!" Now I'm just along for the ride, and God is making it a good one! :-)

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2