Saturday, October 2, 2010

Confession 130: Trust--A New Hair-Do

My hubby and I will have been married for six years this month.  Now, I know for many of you out there this is merely a drop in the bucket and we might as well still be newlyweds.  But for us, six years seems pretty big.  It's not that we expected anything different, we went into marriage as "lifers", but there's a sense of satisfaction in seeing the numbers start to add up.

I believe that marriage is like anything else you do in life.  One, you have to choose to work at it.  And two, there are natural ebbs and flows to the relationship you have to be prepared for.  Lately, Chris and I have been in an ebbing period brought about by all of the transitions of our move in July.  Chris is working hard to get his feet under him in a new congregation while starting a doctoral program, we've all been adjusting to my unemployment, and we're raising toddler boys.  We've been present for everyone except each other.  After a good heart-to-heart earlier this week, we've both been making an effort to focus more on the flow of our relationship, being the partner the other one needs rather than focusing on our own needs.

One of the things I love about my husband is his absolute steadfastness when it comes to his love for myself and our family. I trust Chris.  I trust his judgment, I trust his abilities as a leader, I trust his ability to problem-solve, I trust his instincts, and I trust in his ability to cut my hair.  Yes, you heard that last one right.  I let my husband cut my hair!!  Chris is a very detail oriented person, and when he begins a project, he is steadfast in making sure it is done the right way.  I desperately wanted a hair-cut, did not want to invest the time or money in finding a new hair stylist, so decided that my wonderful husband with his attention to detail, gifts for design and spatial reasoning ability could do the job. I mean, he cuts the boys' hair, right?  Before beginning, Chris made me say out loud that this was all my idea and that he took no responsibility in the end result.  We were good to go!

I told Chris I wanted a bob cut following the line of my chin.  His first cut was up to my cheekbone.  I will admit to a moment of uncertainty, but the cut had been made and there was no going back.  Chris worked slowly and methodically, focusing on the detail of the design, as is his nature.  After making the final cut, he stood back for the examination.  "Well?" I asked.  "It's cute," he replied.  I ran to the bathroom to take a look.  I am happy to report that my faith and trust in my husband has not been misplaced.  The cut is indeed "cute" and doesn't look at all like a home "whack job".  I'll post a picture later and you can judge for yourself.  Chris tells me he's not doing it again, at least not for a long time, so I guess I'll have to eventually invest in finding a professional.  But it is nice to know that I can truly trust this man God has made as my partner and soul mate with anything--even my hair!! 

Blessings and Peace,
Sara

4 comments:

  1. I think that is wonderful. I know my husband would absolutely refuse to ever do such a thing, not sure I would let him either, some people are talented and some need practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet that your husband cut your hair. It's neat that you trusted him and were pleased with the result. I agree that it's easy for spouses to lose track of each other in the course of their busy lives. It's so important to be intentional about saving and making time for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!!! I had a really bummer of an afternoon! I think because I was determined in my prayer time to have a great day - my motto today came from Colossians, "Christ in me, the hope of glory" - I really tried to focus on the "hope of glory" part today.

    Then - that (#$%&*) school happened - rules, other Moms bummed me out this afternoon!

    your blog cracked me up! Thanks for making me laugh and smile!!!

    You have a kickin' husband!
    pen

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, congrats on your six years! You certainly must have a strong marriage if you're letting your hubby cut your hair. I let a woman in the congregation cut my hair once and it was a disaster. I didn't think my hair would ever grow back. People still laugh at me for that one.

    You are absolutely right that marriage is work, and you do have to make the choice to work at it. Some days are better than others. ;-)

    Can't wait to see your hair!!! You really must post a picture.
    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2