Thursday, November 15, 2012

Confession 257: The Faithful One

Praise the Lord, all you nations;
    extol him, all you peoples. For great is his love toward us,
    and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.
Psalm 117:1-2 




Over the past couple of months, since school started again, my faithfulness in my daily Bible study time has been fairly sporadic.  Most mornings I rush out the door five or ten minutes late and settle for K-Love playing in the background of my thoughts as I drive to work, instead of spending some quality time in the Word.  The problem with this, for me, is that it is in the Word that I find myself drawing closer and closer to God.  When I am daily devoting myself to time in the Bible, I feel myself in sync with God.  I am more aware of his presence, I am stronger in my faith, I am more secure in my daily walk through life, and I am better equipped to serve others in need.  And, if I'm honest, there's a part of me that fears God will turn his back on me if I am not continually faithful to him.
So, it surprised me and spoke to me this past week when I saw God's faithfulness manifested in my life, even when I wasn't being completely faithful to him.  One day last week, I came to work feeling pretty down.  My heart and mind were heavy with some things that were troubling me.  When I looked in my mailbox, I found a card.  It was a thank you not from my principal.  The note totally lifted me out of my "funk" and my attitude was much more positive throughout the day. It was perfect timing.  Perfect.  God's timing always is. I saw God working again in my life later that week.  Another little thing occurred that reminded me, again, that God was faithfully looking out for me.  And here's the kicker--I didn't do anything to deserve it.

Sometimes I get caught up in the idea of having this reciprocal relationship with God.  I do what God wants, God shows his faithfulness to me.  And yet, that is so contrary to the way God actually works.  God IS the relationship!  God promises his faithfulness and he delivers, not because of anything I do, but because he is God.  God is faithful--period.  And he will be faithful throughout all time, regardless of the faithfulness or unfaithfulness of his children.  There is nothing we can do to earn it.  Conversely, there is nothing we can do to lose it.  If God's faithfulness depended solely on our ability to remain faithful, we never would have been given the gift of Christ!!

Don't get me wrong, our faithfulness is important.  We should always be seeking and drawing close to God, through his Word, prayer, worship and service.  The more time we spend with God, the more connected we will be to him and the better able we will be to live out his plans for our lives.  Yet, as humans, there will be times when our faithfulness fails.  But God's will remain steadfast.  And when we see the steadfast love of this Faithful One, I pray that we will be drawn back to him, safely secure in his love and promise for us.

Blessings and Peace,
Sara

2 comments:

  1. This is great. So much truth in here. I grew-up in a system that taught (directly and indirectly) that we constantly have to work to please God. Almost like God's not really loving you unless you line up with this massive list of "do's". That's not grace. I still struggle with living simply out of guilt instead of love. You know? Anyway, thanks for this.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so true. How many times have I been in a funk or wanting a different direction and He provides me with the perfect thing at just the right time?!

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2