Sunday, January 9, 2011

Confession 155: Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat!!

I'm in the process of re-reading Jane Austen's Persuasion. It is, perhaps, my favorite of her works.  It is a novel about second chances, and who doesn't love a second chance?  I found a quote last night that stuck with me, for it is absolutely true to life.  Mrs. Croft, an Admiral's wife, is discussing her life lived at sea with her husband and remarks, when the idea that women are too delicate to live life aboard a naval ship is presented, that "none of us expect to be in smooth water all our days."  One of the problems with living in the human world is the absolute human-ness of it all.  Life can be challenging, unexpected, scary and even cruel.  There are times in each of our lives where the waves begin to swell and swamp us and we feel like we're going to capsize.

I remember a time in my life several years ago when I felt I was on the verge of capsize.  I remember the exact moment, sitting on the edge of my bed, tears streaming down my face, when I envisioned myself flailing about in a raging sea.  I even remember the words I cried out to God in that moment--"I'm drowning here!  You have to help me.  Throw me a life line or something!!"  In the months that followed, God not only sent me a life line, he sent me a new life!  You'd think I would have learned a little something about trust and the "power of the Almighty to do great things for me".  Yet, the reality is, when life gets rough, I still find myself calling to God to save me from drowning.

The disciples found themselves in a similar boat, quite literally.  Jesus wanted to cross the sea.  While he slept, a storm developed and the boat became unstable.  Needless to say, the disciples freaked out.  They ran to Jesus and pulled him out of his sleep.  "We're going to drown!" they cried.  Jesus, in true Son of God fashion, said nothing but rose from his rest and calmed the storm.  It was over in a matter of seconds.  The water calmed, Jesus turned to his disciples who were huddled together with their mouths hanging open and said, "Don't you have any faith?"

Don't you have any faith?  I am struck as mute as the disciples in the face of Jesus' words.  It's convicting, isn't it?  To realize how little faith you actually have in the Creator of the universe to see you through the storms of life?  The truth of the matter is that God, our FATHER, is not  going to let us drown.  That's not to say that life won't throw in some pretty good punches.  We'll lose our footing, lose our breath, maybe get a little sea-sick, and we will definitely have some water to bail, but God, our God, who formed us in the womb and has counted each hair on our head, will NOT let us drown!!

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore, we will NOT fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging...The Lord Almighty is with us, the God of Jacob is our fortress..."be still and know that I AM GOD..." Psalm 46

 There are situations that come into our lives that we are powerless to handle.  The disciples could do nothing to stop the storm, but they ran to the One who has dominion over both heaven and earth.  Likewise, when we feel the waters rising around us, we are to turn to that same One who has dominion and power and authority over all things.  God will not only keep us afloat through our storms, he will build us a whole new boat in which we can ride it out secure, dry, and sound.
Blessings and Peace,
Sara

4 comments:

  1. wonderful post! I love Psalm 46 and I can relate to those drowning moments. But God is SO faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. I have had a few drowning moments myself. So thankful to the Almighty God for lifting me up our of the waters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! This post was just what I needed today. I have been drowning, but it's only because I've taken my eyes of Jesus. I'm worrying about all the things God is taking care of. Silly me.

    Thanks for the reminder to have FAITH. Happy Monday!
    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I just fall into that pit of anxiety and need to remind myself that God is there wherever I am and that he, as Priscilla Shirer so wonderfully states, "goes BEYOND the beyond"!

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2