Saturday, September 24, 2011

Confession 203: Being a Faith Warrior

Together (we) will be like mighty warriors in battle
trampling (our) enemy into the mud of the streets.
(We) will fight because the Lord is with (us),
and (we) will put the Enemy to shame.  Zechariah 10:5

Growing up, my Grandpa always told me I would make a good soldier.  Why, I have no idea, but it's something he told me over and over.  And while I am stubborn, persistent, and more inclined to fight than flee, I don't like being told what to do, I need to know the reason for doing something before I begin, and if someone is pointing a gun in my general direction I am going to run the other way!!  I've never seen myself as a warrior.  And yet, in the above Scripture that is precisely what we are called to be!

One look at our society and it becomes clear that we are indeed mighty warriors in battle!  The Enemy surrounds us and his weapons are powerful and destructive, breaking us down from within through fear, despair, self-loathing, hopelessness, temptation, guilt, anger, selfishness, materialism and pride.  But we, as followers of Christ, have something even more powerful than these weapons of mass destruction.  The Lord is with us!!  And he carries in his arsenal not weapons with which to destroy, but tools with which to build.  The Lord brings hope, salvation, grace, mercy, forgiveness, redemption, restoration, healing, peace, goodness, power, strength, faith, compassion perseverance, and love.  

As followers of Christ, we will put the Enemy to shame with these tools the Lord provides.  We will put the Enemy to shame when we choose to forgive rather than hold a grudge.  We will put the Enemy to shame when we offer a place of healing in our churches to those who have suffered from addiction.  We will put the Enemy to shame when we go out to serve others with love and compassion in the face of despair, disaster, and poverty.  We will put the Enemy to shame when we persevere through the trials and obstacles in our lives and in our congregations to continue the work God has given us to do.  We will put the Enemy to shame when we speak to others with love and grace, focusing on the positive instead of dwelling on the negative.  We will put the Enemy to shame when we encourage others in their walk, strengthen others in their faith, support others on their journey of healing, restoration and redemption.  In essence, we will put the Enemy to shame when we LOVE!!

O, Lord, I want to be a WARRIOR today!!

Blessings and Peace,
Sara

1 comment:

  1. Look at you posting on a Saturday...

    Hope all is well, friend. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here in this space.

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2