Monday, March 21, 2011

Confession 172: Power Washed

I'd like to introduce you today to my friend, Liz.  Liz is a retired English teacher, a gardener, a writer, an evangelist and an overall tender of souls.  Liz is someone my husband and I both agree we want to be like when we grow up!  Some people are on fire for God, but Liz just explodes!!  She is a treasured part of our community, and I wanted to share her with you all.  Liz writes a weekly column in our local newspaper and our church newsletter.  They're all gems, but this one in particular has stuck with me.  It's titled, "Power Washed". 

"Did you put on a new deck?" Ron asked when he drove p to the front of our house last Sunday.

"No, we just had it power washed," I told him.  "John did it for us."

Now I hate to admit this, but in the 15 to 20 years we've had the front and back decks on, we've never had them power washed or water proofed.  And yes they were gray with weathering and black even in some places and terribly slick when it rained with all the years' accumulation of stuff on them.  In fact, when it rained, we had to always warn people to be careful as they walked across the deck.  And why did we never have this power washing done before?  I guess I had so many plants and furniture on that I thought it would be too big a job to clear the decks.  And why did we finally take the plunge?  Well, I think God must have sent John out to us. He was doing some work for us and he just casually said, Now if you want me to clean these decks I can do it.  No problem."

I promptly said, "No, I don't think so."

Well, it turned out I had to get some of the planters and furniture off anyway for him, and so the light came on in my head finally and I thought if we're ever going to do it, now is the time with half the stuff already off.  So 65 planters off the back deck and 20 off the front deck plus tables, chairs, benches, and fire pot, the decks were ready for their new grand appearance.  And yes, it was a lot of trouble.  Some of the planters were so big I had to take the plants and dirt out before I could move them off the deck.  But it was worth it all.  And to just think this could have been done a long time ago.  Why is it easier to put up with the ugly when it could be replaced by the beautiful?

So now I ask myself why do I keep holding onto bad habits or selfish and impatient attitudes when I could just let Jesus power wash them right out of my life!  I guess partly because I would have to make up my mind to do it.  My mom used to always say, "First I've gotta convince myself."  And then, of course, I'd have to do my part before Jesus could do his part.  But what a great thing to be able to say, "Power washed by Jesus!"
If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV

Love in Jesus,
God's "Power Washed" Servant,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful analogy!! Thank youth so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for not keeping Liz and her words to yourself!

    Liz, thank you. I am in need of a power wash.

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2