Thursday, April 22, 2010

Confession 95: God is Immovable

I have a wonderful devotional book my mom gave me entitled, 10 Minute Time Outs for Moms, by Grace Fox. I cannot tell you how many times God has given me a Word through this book! This morning was no exception.

Over the past few weeks, since Chris and I were told we were being reappointed, our life has been less than stable. The most difficult part for me has been resigning my teaching position at a school I dearly love. This school has been my community for the past three years. I have built deep relationships with students and teachers, I have grown as a professional, and I have loved every minute (almost) of what I've done. Not only am I giving up a good job, which comes with the territory of being a United Methodist pastor's wife, but I'm struggling to find a new job in an educational field that is just now feeling the full brunt of the economic down-turn. Our new home is about 45 minutes outside of Kansas City, where teachers are being laid-off left and right. People who have teaching positions are holding onto them and schools with open positions are looking for candidates who don't cost a lot--not veteran teachers with graduate degrees.

I've spent the past few weeks spending hours online frantically looking for a position. I had an interview in the town we will be moving to and was feeling pretty hopeful. It was out of my content area, but nothing I couldn't do. The high school in our new town is about two blocks from our parsonage, so I thought God was surely working everything out beautifully. That is, until I got an e-mail that thanked me for applying but told me they'd hired someone else. I think my heart fell to my feet at that moment. Not only did I discover I did not get the job, but that they'd had over 40 applicants for this one position! I can't repeat the exact words that went through my head at that moment, but they definitely involved lots of variations of crap! I had one other option that didn't pan out and all of a sudden I felt myself veering down that path of hopelessness. My husband and I asked each other: "What are we going to do?" "How are we going to live?" "God, what are you doing? Can't you just make this work?"

And in the midst of that, this is what I heard...

"I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you, not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

"I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted." Job 42:2

"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion on you." Isaiah 54:10

"Because of your great love we are not consumed, for Your compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Your faithfulness is great." Lamentations 3:22-23

"Those who trust the Lord will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before them, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands." Isaiah 55:12

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." Psalm 46:1-3

I hope these verses bring you as much peace of mind as they have me. God is immovable and steadfast, no matter how unstable and changing our lives can be.

Blessings and Peace,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2