Thursday, November 5, 2009

Confession 68: Just Another Day...

I stepped in dog poop with my bare foot this morning. It was gross. Really gross. But the plus was that I figured it couldn't get much worse than that throughout the day. And, other skidding into work two minutes before the first tardy bell, it really hasn't been that bad. Stephen woke up around five something this morning. We were sleeping in the recliner, which was fine because I've had a cough for a week now that I can't get rid of. He played for awhile, crawling on and off the recliner, then when Chris came out to tell me my alarm was going off Stephen decided it was time to sleep. So, he grabbed his blanket, climbed up onto the recliner, laid down, and fell back to sleep. Classic Stephen.

I was thinking as I was pulling into the parking lot at school this morning, "This is my life. This--rushing Garrett out the door in the morning with a cup of coffee in one hand and a can of soup in the other, flying into school in the nick of time, scrambling to wrap my head around what I need to teach through three subjects, flying out of school with who knows what, rushing Garrett back into the car, and heading toward home where there's snack, dinner, bath, jammies, and bed. This is my life." And you know what? I love it. I love it!! This is what it's supposed to be about. There's no big thing to do, no greatness to be achieved (thank you Beth Moore). There's just me taking God's hand and walking through the day.

That's not to say that there's no purpose in life. There's tremendous purpose in life. There's a kingdom to be built, and all that we do should be focused on building it. But we build it everyday, in our everyday encounters, our everyday conversations, our everyday actions and routines. We build it when we say hello with a smile to people we greet in the morning. We build it when we give an encouraging hug or word to someone who might need it. We build it when we pray with our children before meals. We build it when we give someone else the right of way. We build it when we say "thank you" and mean it. We build it when we say, "I understand what you're going through". We build it when we laugh with others. We build it when we cry with others. We build it when we say, even in the midst of a foot covered in dog poop, "Thank you God, so much, for this day."

This is just another day, and I couldn't ask for more.

Blessings and Peace,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2