Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Confession 106: The View From The Sky

A few weeks ago, some church members who own a small plane invited Chris and I to go flying with them after church. I had not flown on a plane this small in my entire life, so I was a bit intimidated. We have a will which designates custody of our children to my sister, but she is 8 months pregnant at the moment and I can't imagine would relish the thought of having two toddlers in the midst of that!! Regardless, I went on the trip anyway and it was a lovely experience.

The thought occurred to me that you really don't know a land until you've flown over it. For instance, I didn't realize how close the three towns we live around and in really are--how they come together to form a triangle of sorts. I didn't realize how the farmers' fields flow with the land and the cattle graze up one hill and down another. I didn't realize how beautiful the vast expanses of farmland all around us are, the contrast of the rich dark brown soil and the verdant green of the hillsides. Ireland eat your heart out! Surely, I thought, there can be no more beautiful place in the world! (Except, of course, Italy, France, Greece, Scotland, Germany, Austria, Australia, Hawaii, Japan, Kenya, Peru....I just want to make sure my husband doesn't think we don't need to travel in the future! :-) )

The point is, you can't see the whole from where you're standing. You only get that view from above. And, the only one who has that view of our lives is, of course, our Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer, Almighty, Loving, Merciful, Glorious, Above All, Who Was, Who Is, Who Is Yet To Come, God.

I've been wrestling with God a lot lately about the future. We move in two and a half weeks and I still have not found a teaching job. I've been offered an adjunct position to teach a class at a local community college, but I'm not sure the money is going to be worth it. And, I could substitute teach, but there are no insurance benefits from that. I know, I know, that God already has this worked out. But I can't see the view from above. I guess I just have to trust that's it's beautiful.

Blessings and Peace,
Sara

2 comments:

  1. That's such a neat mental picture. Gave me goose bumps. How we can't see the whole picture from where we're standing. Many times I've wished I could. Hoping your next few weeks go smoothly. Moving is statistically stressful for marriages. Hoping your move goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sara...you don't know how much I needed to read this post today...it's just been one of those days for me where I couldn't see the 'whole' picture or the 'whole' beauty of well...life in general. Thank you for reminding me that no matter what is going on in my life - to be thankful for what I have and what is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete

My Family

My Family

My Family 2

My Family 2